Here is an update of what we will be learning in the coming week!
Language Arts: We have started Media Literacy in L.A and we will continue to deconstruct ads, products, commercials, and the media. Students have created their own product where they used the concepts we learned to try and sell the product to the class. I will be uploading pictures soon!
Math: We have started Chapter 5 Measurement and Time! It will take us 1 week or so to complete the chapter. We are doing a variety of hands on projects in class to help understand the concepts.
Science: We have started a new unit called Light and Sound and our first lab experiment was a success! We will be doing many lab experiments in this unit and if you would like to come and join us you are more than welcome to =) I will be posting when we will be doing the labs a day or two before the experiment.
Social Science: Students are acting as travel agents to create a travel brochure on a province they are assigned. We will be going to the computer lab and library next week to start our research.
Islamic Studies: We began reading about Prophet Muhammed (S.W.S) journey from Mecca to Medina. We will continue this chapter the coming few weeks.
If you have any questions, the best way to reach me is through email. JazakAllah-Khairan =)
Thursday, 15 November 2012
Monday, 12 November 2012
A note from Tr. Salam
السلام عليكم :
اتتهينا من جميع أنشطة الحج و العيد، أعاد الله علينا جميعا هذه الايام الكريمة بالخير و البركات ، و انتهينا أيضا من وحدة التعاون ، حيث تعلم الطالب من خلالها العديد من المهارات و المفردات والتراكيب اللغوية ، كما تعلم مدى أهمية التعاون في حياتنا ، و أن ديننا الحنيف يحث على ذلك .
نحن حريصون دائما على اشراك الطالب في العملية التعليمية ، و حثه على "البحث و الربط و الاكتشاف و الاستنتاج " بنفسه ، مع توفير المناخ النفسي و الاجتماعي و التعليمي المشجع له ، و لم يعد دور الطالب متلقيا فقط .. و في اطار ذلك فقد كلف التلميذ بعمل بحث يرتبط بوحدة التعاون ، فالرجاء متابعته في ذلك . و جزاكم الله خيرا
Friday, 9 November 2012
Update for next week:
Here are a few updates for the coming week:
Language Arts- We started a new unit which is media literacy we will be focusing on this for the next couple of weeks as well as writing up stories for a story contest!
Math: We will be starting chapter 4 which is number sense and numeration, it will take us approximately 2 weeks to complete this chapter.
Science: We are going to be learning about the human effects on habitats (advantages and disadvantages).
Social Studies: We will be looking at the Great lakes and the St.Lawrence river. We will collectively learn about the responsibilites for maintaining the health of the Great Lakes Basin.
Islamic Studies: We will finish up Unit A and a short quiz will be given on Tuesday. I will give a review to the students today in class.
Thursday, 8 November 2012
Monday, 5 November 2012
Here is a quick update on what is happening this week in our class:
1) Swimming tomorrow- Please do not forget to send the essentials with the students (swim wear, towel, etc.)
2) Habitat Presentation- We have worked long and hard on this project and it is finally coming to an end. The kids researched, gathered information, and created a bristal board to show their findings. Presentations will be happening this Wednesday and they will be marked with the rubric that will be sent home today
3) Physical Region Assignment- The students worked approximately 2 weeks to create a handout about a physical region they researched on. They will present their handout to the class on Thursday.
4) Math test- The Data Management math test will be this Thursday. It will cover everything we learned in chapter 3.
5) Writing test- This term we have been focusing on 5 paragraph essays. Many of the projects given in language arts circulated around that idea. On Wednesday, the students will be given a topic and they will have to write 5 paragraphs (introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion) based on that topic. They're writing should include variety of descriptive words, proper sentence structure and format.
If you have any questions please dont hesitate to email me. JazakAllah-Khairan!
Friday, 2 November 2012
A message from Quran teacher (Tr. Samia)
.This week we had a test on all of Surat Al.Qiamah This test was on Tajweed rules ,reading rules and memorization of the whole surah ,I sent a Quran rubric of this test with your child so please sign it and send it back. We will start reciting and memorizing Surat Al.Muddather Insha Allah.To practice the surah with your child please use this website and go to Sheik Ibrahim Alakhadar: http://quran.ksu.edu.sa
Congratulation to the best memorizers and reciters of the month of October:
Jazakum Allahu Khairan for your cooperation.
Thursday, 1 November 2012
A note from Tr. Nancy:
Nancy-Ann Brethour, Librarian
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to town!! It will be visiting our school this week, InshaAllah.
For more information on this big event, please visit the abraar school library website www.abraarlibrary.com
I would also like to take this opportunity to wish each and everyone of you EID MUBARAK!!